Friday 2 May 2014

It's the First of May! (Almost)

I can't believe I missed the chance to post this yesterday. Jonathan Coulton is one of my absolute favourite musicians. His funny/geeky/heartbreaking songs are played pretty much on a constant loop on my Spotify.

His song, 'First of May' is apparently based on the traditional schoolyard rhyme "Hooray, Hooray, the first of May! Outdoor fucking starts today!" Clearly we were doing schoolyard rhymes all wrong at my school because I don't think we had anything ruder than "Ooh - Ah! I lost my bra! I left my knickers in my boyfriend's car!"

So I should have posted this yesterday but you know, it just STARTS on the first of May. The second of May is still good for enjoying yourselves outdoors. Off you go.






I hope you enjoy it. Who wouldn't be charmed by lyrics like this?

I'll bring a blanket and I promise I will brush the ants off 
You're gonna like it when we're taking each other's pants off


You should also check out this YouTube video for one of Jonathan Coulton's other songs "Shop Vac" because the song is great and the video is an extraordinary painstaking work of art. (It's 'kinetic typography animation', apparently)

1 comment:

  1. LOL! That is awesome! I have never heard of this singer before... he's a little too twangy for me, but I enjoy his creativity with lyrics.
    Also, we used to say "Ohh ahh, I lost my bra, must have left it in my boyfriend's car." Probably because we would have had no idea what knickers were.

    ReplyDelete