Sunday 15 March 2015

Sjamboks, Spanking and the Wrong Kind of Torture.


I was introduced to a sjambok for the first time last Friday. I knew what it was immediately. I have been aware of the sjambok since I was in my mid teens when I read an Amnesty International advert in the newspaper about torture methods. The advert text mentioned beatings, canings and whippings. I had a very guilty wank over it. (Because human rights abuses = not OK. Just so we’re clear.)

The sjambok was the one thing mentioned that I wasn’t already aware of and I had to go and look it up. It’s a hippo/rhino hide or plastic whip used by South African police. So you know, not nice. Or at least not nice in those circumstances. I had only the briefest of introductions to it the other day. I would very much like to revisit.

Getting turned on by the wrong things is very much an occupational hazard for a kinkster.  (In fact, come to think of it, ‘getting turned on by the wrong things’ is probably the dictionary definition of a pervert.) Torture and judicial corporal punishment are inexcusable. I am the leftist of leftwing hippy liberals. I firmly believe that there is no possible scenario in which torture should take place.

Except in the bedroom, obviously.

Amnesty International have a bit of a habit of accidentally turning me on, it seems. Last year there were a series of London Underground adverts which provoked a reaction in me that was somewhat different from the horror and outrage they probably anticipated.

Seriously, at no point in their meetings, did someone not say “Hey, does anyone else think these posters look a bit Fifty Shades of Grey-ish?
I’m not making light of human rights abuses. I’m the fun-sucker who, when my daughter and I did the London Dungeon felt the need to point out that while it’s all well and good to laugh at Medieval torture implements, that sort of shit is happening all over the world right now. I am the same about cutesy depictions of pirates. Honestly, I’m no fun at all.

But regardless, I am also a lifelong spanko who gets immensely turned on by being bent over and belted and caned and whipped. And sometimes I respond at a fairly physical level to things that I know shouldn’t be turning me on at all.

It’s like when I read Kathryn R Blake’s excellent Corbin’s Bend book A Simple Misunderstanding. The heroine, Elly, is being abused by her husband. But the thing is, a lot of the abuse he meted out was quite BDSM-y in nature. Which in a BDSM-y type book (albeit a Domestic Discipline one at the sweeter end of the kink) is problematic. If Arthur had been smacking Elly round the face or punching her in her kidneys, then it would have been very straight-forwardly domestic abuse. But he didn’t just do that. He tied her up. He whipped her. He inserted butt plugs. And I ended up reading those bits feeling simultaneously turned on and ashamed about being turned on.

It was exactly like being fifteen again, to be honest.

I am hoping that my friend with the sjambok will give me a full demonstration soon. I hope it goes without saying, that my enthusiasm for being spanked by a ruddy great heavy whip, is in no way an endorsement of that implement being used in any non-consensual scenarios.

Actually, it’s “Swords into Ploughshares”, isn’t it? Let’s mount a campaign to take all torture equipment from oppressive Governmental regimes and abusive totalitarian authorities and redistribute them to kinksters.

Just think how much better the world would be.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope you get to be reintroduced to the sjambok too! And I agree with everything you said, I will sometimes find myself turned on by something that should not be turning me on. You're right when you say you feel fifteen again, because that is exactly how I felt about my interest in spanking for so long. Guilty, guilty just for having thoughts about it.
    Great post Etta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an honest, frank post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of in the nature of who we are as kinksters. Stuff that turns us on is not exactly PC. And I so want to try a sjambok now.

    But I think the shame part is the worst part. I've got kinks I can't talk about because of the 'shame factor' and as I am NOT into humiliation, shame is something that pisses me off. Unless what we're doing isn't consensual, why should we feel shame for it? But that's a whole other post...

    Unless you enjoy feeling shame and guilt, realize you don't have to feel bad for enjoying the sting of a find implement. On the other hand, if shame and guilt are part of your fetish, then feel free :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I definitely don't do the humiliation/shame thing. And, by and large, I am not ashamed of my kinky masochistic tendencies these days.I have no problem reconciling my sexual submissiveness and my feminism, for example.

      But I do think that getting turned on by Amnesty International accounts of human rights abuses is Not On.I shan't be embracing that part of my nature any time soon.

      (And is it bad that I'm not REALLY, REALLY curious to find out what the kinks you can't talk about because of the shame factor actually are?)

      Delete
    2. Good thing you're not REALLY, REALLY curious as these kinks i tell nobody about *wink*

      And yeah - getting turned on by non-consensual torture is probably written up in a psychology manual somewhere ;)

      Your article had me searching for a Sjambok, though. I only found one producer in the US and it isn't even leather they make it from but Polypropylene. :( Sigh. Go leather or go home is my motto ;)

      Delete
    3. I don't think you'll find a leather sjambok anywhere. I'm quite experienced with this implement. I even have a purple medal for taking the most strokes of one in my local Australian state (33). The originals were/are made from hippo hide, but that's obviously not okay, so people have started to make them from polypropylene. Caneiac do some great ones. But beware, these implements are NOT for the faint of heart. They are extremely severe and will break the skin easily. Amazing sensation though; kinda like a cross between a cane and a paddle. There's a scene with a sjambok in Sharing Silver, my latest book. :)

      Delete
    4. Am very excited that we got an actual sjambok expert on here. 33 strokes sounds insanely hardcore. Well done, Tabitha. (And I'm not in any way wimpy about these things. But the sjambok looks ESPECIALLY fierce.)

      The sjambok that my friend demonstrated on me super-briefly the other day was plasticky. I presume it was this polypropylene of which you speak.

      Just bought 'Sharing Silver'. Masters of the Castle AND sjamboks? You are spoiling me.

      Delete
  4. You are absolutely right, Etta. What Arthur did (other than when he lost his temper and started to kick Elly), could have been perfectly acceptable in a BDSM relationship, if the sub was getting turned on by the pain and humiliation. Except Elly didn't receive any satisfaction or enjoyment from the things he did. In fact, she hated it. So, the abuse wasn't so much due to what Arthur did, but who he did it with. What's worse is that he constantly belittled Elly until she felt his punishments were all her fault. When she couldn't lift her arms and he left her with a glass of water just out of her reach, that's sadistic torture and not the least bit loving, sexy or erotic. The point is Arthur wanted to hurt Elly, not for their mutual pleasure and satisfaction, but because he liked the way her begging made him feel. He liked having all the power and using it in a way that gave him the most pleasure.

    BDSM is supposed to be for the partners' mutual benefit. The sub should receive as much satisfaction from the activities as her Dom. She may not enjoy the punishments when they're happening, but she should enjoy how she feels afterwards. She should feel euphoric and empowered not like a piece of dirt that should be swept under the rug (unless being a piece of dirt swept under the rug is erotic or a turn on for her). So, while you could have been turned on by the whippings and butt plug (which you shouldn't feel the least bit guilty about, because it's what you enjoy), and if you had been on the receiving end, you might even have had several orgasms from the things he did. In fact, I suspect some readers may have found those scenes titillating rather than abusive. Given that, for you and others who felt as you did, Arthur would have changed his game. He wouldn't want you to receive any pleasure or erotic stimulation, so he would have found a way to punish you that you hated (through deprivation or some other form of subtle torture), because the only one he wanted enjoying what he did, was him. What he did was abusive to Elly, because of who she was, not because of what he did. And yet, everything he did was under the guise of a concerned and loving husband. Liar, liar, pants on fire. No matter how you package him, Arthur was not a nice guy. If he felt you'd enjoy the sjambok, you'd never be allowed to experience the pain-filled pleasure of its kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your considered response, Kathryn. I don't doubt for a moment that Arthur was a complete and utter bastard. Loved your 'Love in the Rockies' story about all the characters from 'Simple Misunderstanding'.

      Delete
  5. Do you read Bryce Courtenay books? The sjambok features quite a lot in "Whitethorn".
    Thanks for this post Etta, being open about my kink is a very new thing for me, so I'm still very much in the learning phase of it all; discovering that there are other people like me out there makes me feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Thanks. I've just got a sample of 'Whitehorn' for my kindle. Not sure it looks like my sort of thing but thank you. Are you sure you're not just trying to furnish me with new reasons to feel guilt about being turned on?

      Delete
  6. Yes, I absolutely understand this. I have an entire barrel-full of examples, which I won't share, because then they would probably just turn you on and you'd feel guilty over my guilty turn-ons too. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. We're definitely not here to make one another feel guilty. Quite the opposite.

      Delete
  7. Can you still see how you are a filthy hypocrite, or are you already too stuck into your psychological problems to see it?

    ReplyDelete